Monday, 5 May 2014

Our not-quite-sandpaper numerals


 I've been making a lot of resources lately, and one of them is this set of felt numerals. I don't like tracing sandpaper numerals and was not looking forward to cutting a sheet of sandpaper so I decided to go for felt instead!
 
The idea behind using sandpaper is that the child absorbs the shape of the numeral through their sense of touch while tracing them. Tracing felt is smoother, softer, more enjoyable and it does leave your fingertips tingling slightly. This set of numerals was a test to decide whether or not I want to make letters in the same way. And I think I do!
 
I used foam board (3 for 2 discount at Hobbycraft) which cut like butter with a craft knife. I didn't even measure, I just cut my A2 size board in half, then in half again, and again, and again. This gave me large tablets, exactly what I wanted.


 
 I took a picture of my hand so you can see how large they are. I glued my felt numerals on the left hand side of the tablets so that Finley can hold them using his right hand while he traces them with his left hand as he is left-handed.
 
If you do this, you should know that once you have put your tacky craft glue onto the back of the felt numeral, it will be really floppy to hold and it will be difficult to position on the tablet. After realising this I left the numeral facing down with the glue on top and applied the tablet on top instead. It wasn't so easy to get the numeral where I wanted, but it worked.


I finished them with a border of white electrical tape to cover the rough edges.


I'm quite pleased with the result even  though Finn has shown ZERO interest so far. And yet, he's only 2, but I should say that he can count to 9. Yes: Two, three, nine! Easy peasy!


Have you made textured numerals? Are you planning to? I'd love to know how you made them.
 

6 comments:

  1. You finally made them with felt! They're nice! :-) Love to learn how Finn will like the feel of them!

    Mars M.
    www.montessorionmars.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I took the plunge, and I'm so glad I did! I'll let you know if he likes them when the time comes.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Elsa! These turned out great! I've been going back and forth on making a set or buying a set on etsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is Elise right-handed? I couldn't buy them as they would have been awkward for Finn to trace with his left hand. And I like them larger anyway. Are the Etsy ones sandpaper?

      Delete
  3. Yes, she is, although she does use her left a lot, too. I hadn't thought about sandpaper letters/numerals being tricky for lefties, but I bet some of them are! Here's the link to the etsy sandpaper letters I've been looking at: https://www.etsy.com/listing/62740002/lowercase-sandpaper-letters-on-birch?ref=favs_view_16

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Etsy ones are really beautiful!

      Delete